CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Perils of Potty Training




If you've been reading my blog, you know that we've been working on potty training since July. Yes, that's 7 months. S-e-v-e-n. long. months. Part of the problem was the inconsistency. She goes to daycare 2 1/2 days a week and before she moved into the 2 year old class, she had to wear diapers or pull-ups. Her classroom had a potty in it but her teachers weren't allowed to let her use it. The licensing agency for daycare facilities didn't want kids under 2 to be "pressured" into being potty trained. WHAT??? Seriously??? I know I started early compared to today's standards (I'm not judging, I swear...unless your kid is 4 and still in diapers), but if I choose to work on it and pay a lot of money for her to go to daycare then I should be able to ask them to send her to the bathroom every couple of hours. But I digress; we've come a long way since then. When she "graduated" to the 2 year old class in December, I started sending her in pull-ups. She stayed dry most days. I was still a little nervous to take the plunge and send her in panties. And I was really nervous to go out in public with her in panties. I finally got brave in January and bit the bullet. I should add that her teacher told me that she wondered when I was going to since she had been doing so well. She's done great! She's only had 2 accidents and school. And 1 with me...in the Disney store at the mall...a BIG puddle...I stayed very calm...and thankfully had extra panties and clothes...except extra socks...lesson learned. I am also very familiar with many of the bathrooms in the greater Jacksonville area. We visit one in just about every place we visit...sometimes more than once in the same trip. Yea! I love public restrooms! :-P
Well, I should add that this great success was only with #1. #2, not so much. We've been really working on that this past month or so. Our mall has a train and Caroline has been obsessed with it forever. I thought that would be the perfect reward (aka BRIBE!!) for her (especially since the 1st bribe I bought--a doll--had been sitting in our bathroom for a few months). I made a sticker chart with a big picture of a train on it and really talked it up. Yeah, she didn't care. She continued to poop in her pants (only at home...most of the time). I tried all sorts of things--making her go pants-less and panty-less, making her walk around with it in her pants, talking about pooping ALL the time....nothing worked. After about a month she earned the 7 stickers it took to ride the train (there were a couple of other rewards along the way--a cupcake, the infamous baby doll, some M & M's). Well, this train ride must have made a big impact on Caroline because she is squeezing out poop about 3 times a day (up from one a day or every other day). She will be filling up her monster sticker chart any day now if this keeps up. Rewards are in the form of a goody bag filled with fun things to do--trip to the park, dollar bin shopping at Target, a cookie, a princess balloon, etc. Caroline is in love with her pink flower bag. Guess I finally found something that worked! I'll let you know if it lasts!

The train ride!

Sticker charts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment